Resin Master Atalanta from JoeK Minis - A (Sort of) Review

Just when my wallet thought it was going to get a break before the big Salute rush (I'm not off to Salute, but a lot of companies have caught on and now do online deals when events are on), JoeK Minis releases some Resin Masters of their third Odyssey miniature - Atalanta. She is supposedly getting a full release for Salute, but I jumped at the chance to get one of the five that Joe made available.




Now, I say review, but what I mean to say is "damn, she pretty".

She's 36mm tall, and sculpted by Patrick Keith from concept art by Robert Cirillo. On general release she will also be resin, but should be a little cheaper than the £13.50 the master cost, possibly closer to Heracles' release price of £10. 

 As a Master, she arrived in a special black plastic box with an Odyssey sticker on the front.


Once you open it up, you are met with one of these rather special looking cards.


The total content of the box. Minus the bubble wrap (that has been put aside for popping later)


Atalanta comes in 3 parts - Body, arm and what I think is a quiver which fits on her back.


Overall, she is lovely. some really cool detail and almost no visible mold lines (it took me until I was editing the photos blown up to 5 times the size of her to notice one - on the inside of her right leg). There are a few little flecks of flash, but nothing major. She does appear to be quite shiny, possibly the result of a release agent, but nothing soapy water shouldn't fix.





You get the same scale effect on her armour as Heracles has on his cloak, adding some continuity across the range. Also, her bow does appear to follow the same sort of design as his sword.




At 36mm, she is the smallest member of the range so far, with Heracles a head taller and Hephestus dwarfing them both. And yes, I haven't built them yet (my arguments in this range from a lack of time to waiting on basing materials).



Overall, she's a damn fine little lady and is a nice continuation of the line. The only thing I need to do is to decide whether she gets painted, or if she gets locked away in her special box where my painting can't ruin her.










2 comments:

  1. "or if she gets locked away in her special box where my painting can't ruin her."

    Laughed at this one. I feel the same way about some of my models sometimes. I put them on the side until I can level up my skill some first :). Thanks for the photos, she looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already got the likes of Joe's Dragon Huntress and the Ax Faction Siege Breakers hidden away out of sight, but there is space for these three to join, even if it is only for a little while.

      No problem on the photos, I figure that the more minis I buy from small companies like Joe's and put pictures up of them, then more people will see and be interested in a world outside of the mainstream that is GW/PP and probably now Wyrd and Knight.

      Delete