Painting Black.


Image result for Painting black
This can be one of the hardest things to do if you don't know how and I am/was someone who did not know, but during my last lesson with John I wanted to cover it because of a model I have planned for a show coming up in November but more on that another time. 

So as you all know from my chaos warrior painting black in my case is no more then black out of the bottle and done and the thing is that's not painting black at all.

And here is the Magic secret, something that when I was told it, everything seems to make sense in the world and everything was going to be ok from now on.

Image result for serenity peace

And here it is something that will make sense when you think about it.

"You are not painting black"

But how can you paint black with out painting black you might ask. Well, because you are using a blackey something ie a blue black or red black and then paint it as you would do, but for a different color for this we used cloaks and here is my first real black I have painted.








6 comments:

  1. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got, was to use grey or a mid tone when starting with blacks. I since shifted to P3's coal black, which is a gorgeous black with some blues in it. Really gives you some nice tones in the shadows. Yours is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like using Coal Black as well, but recently found that Scale Color's Rlyeh Grey is exactly the same shade, but gives a much more matte finish than the slightly glossy effect of the P3 so I'm going to be experimenting with using different ones for different materials.

      Delete
    2. That is an absolutely amazing tip!!!! I will check out the scale color! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. No problem :)

      It's one of their Fantasy range, so don't think it's available individually yet. I got mine in the Shades of Doom set.

      Delete
  2. I start from a very dark grey, highlight up and then wash it with nuln oil, which turns it back into black again, but with highlights :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying Flameon's method at the moment (http://flameonminiatures.blogspot.fr/2014/01/black-color-painting-tutorial.html) it's pretty different to most I've seen and only suits certain types of materials but it's interesting.

    ReplyDelete