The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth - An Unboxing

As some of you may know, last weekend Games Workshop released a little box called Betrayal at Calth. A small percentage of people, got excited as it was a new board game from Games Workshop. Most of everyone else got excited because it's the first time we've traveled 10k years into the future-past that is Warhammer 30k in plastic.


Up until the day this actually went up for pre-order, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it. At that point it had probably been at least a year since I had last built a Space Marine and had managed to ignore most of the hype.


Once it went up for order and I saw some of the minis that are in the box, I decided my small Dusk Raiders force (my second marine army, with the first being Soul Drinkers) could have some reinforcements. In the box you get one Terminator Captain, one Chaplain, One Contemptor Dreadnought, 5 Terminators and 30 Tactical Marines. 




It also contains some decals, dice, cards and some boards and counters if you fancy playing the game. Sticking with the honest theme, all I've done with these is pop the boards and the counters out of the surrounding board to create some more space in the box while I build as I have no intention of using them.





Now, the real reason for getting the box. This box isn't like Space Hulk with some quick build stuff, these are full on Marine sprues that you might find in retail boxes. Below you will find some closer up shots of the sprues, but not the duplicate sprues (basically doubles of the tactical sprues).



















There are some seriously nice pieces in the kit. For me, namely, it's the rather elegant looking plasma pistol that looks so much nicer than the current 40k chunky, bulky design.

This is where the unboxing was going to end. But then I decided to build stuff.

The Terminator Captain






The Chaplain - I've left his Crozius arm off for painting as it obscures even more of the cloak and isn't easy to work around. 







Terminator Sgt. Here is the first mistake I made with the box - I didn't notice that the shoulder pads had specific left and right pads, so the mid layer pads are actually on back to front. Which nobody will notice at all. I hope.





There's still plenty of the box left to build, but for now it'll be staying out the way as Element Games have a painting competition focusing around the box that ends mid December so that Terminator needs paint on it!

Post a Comment