Brambleten Paints... ArcWorlde's Father Griffmas - Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of Brambleten Paints ArcWorlde's Father Griffmas. Today we shall see exactly what happens when I lose mojo and direction.

At the end of Part One, Griffmas had been started, with his flesh mostly done and his hair mid way through.


Since then though, I've lost my focus on painting and haven't really fancied it. Over the last couple of evenings, knowing my deadlines are looming closer (this guy is due before 31st December for the 'Eavier Metal comp) I've sat down with the intention of just picking up the brush and doing something. 


I started out giving him another coat of Sanguine Base (P3), seeing as how most of him is red. The other colours I loaded on to my palette were Deck Tan (Vallejo), Basic Flesh (SC), Light Skin (SC) and Ivory (Vallejo).



After the red, the second largest area on him is the fur trim, which I plan on being a creamy white, to separate it from the beard. I started out with Deck Tan and this was quite a task, given that there is so much texture that the consistency I'd made the paint didn't really allow for a decent coverage first time through.


I also started tackling his bald spot, using various flesh mixes.


It was at this point that I realised I'd missed another flesh area - just below his bracer on his left arm - so in between layers of Deck Tan I started working on the flesh there as well.




After a little while I lost direction and ended up watching most of an episode of Smallville before I got back to him and added another colour to him - some Umbral Umber (P3) on his Axe and on his sack.




While it doesn't feel like anything is close to finished on him, now that I've got a variety of shades on him I feel I can start nailing down little parts to do. I know I want to do work on the fur trim as that is everywhere and possibly going to be quite messy so the red will wait until that is done. 

I also know that I want to do the boots and the metalwork last, as the boots will be done using inks and having to touch up flecks of paint on a smoothly inked surface is a pain - I've found that it's always a case of starting again as you can never get the two areas to become one again.

Time to stop rambling. Here he is at the end of session 2. 




Post a Comment