Unboxing Hunger & Lust from Broken Toad

While I was wondering through the Asylum Wargaming webstore looking at all the pretty things on there, I spotted that they had added both the Wonderlands Transition set and Hunger & Lust to their Broken Toad range. While I'm not a fan of the Wonderlands stuff (too chaotic and creepy for me in style), I've been thinking about picking up Hunger & Lust since Broken Toad released it. What held me back? Well, I haven't actually done anything with the trio of BT busts I picked up and unboxed back in November. I decided that since I was ordering some Guild Ball stuff, I'd stick the bust in the basket as well, as it would be a few weeks before I'd have to think about finding a place in the cupboard for it.

I was a little surprised to get an email a couple of days later to say that the bust was on it's way as the guys at Asylum had split the order up into stuff they had, and stuff they were waiting on.


The bust arrived on Thursday, complete with Easter Egg and Yorkshire Tea bag - great service from Asylum. 


As usual for a BT bust, Hunger & Lust came in a nice card box, with printed cover showing the piece.


Inside the box in a bag between two pieces of foam are the three pieces that make up the bust - the Vampire, the other lass and the vampire's hand. Both main parts of the bust could be used just as well on their own, but I feel that they do look a lot better together. 


The resin used is a warm grey in tone, and really smooth. 





The only sign of mold lines I found on either of the busts was on their backs, showing that some thought went into their placement - all too often pieces seem to have mold lines across the front and sides of bodies/faces. 









While the pieces are wonderfully sculpted, they also offer a lot of interpretation for the paint job. Is that a dress or a bed sheet? Beyond their basic expressions, it's up to the painter to give the ladies' faces character and tone - they're both fairly blank canvases. Is the girl in front a victim being held in place, or is she accepting and wanting to be bitten? Is she a lover for the vampire, or she just another meal? Lots of room for a variety of stories to be told, all from one piece. 




Having taken photos of the piece in black and white, I'd really like to see someone paint it Sin City style - greyscale with a spot colour - probably a bold red on the dress and the vampire's lips.

1 comment:

  1. that one is on my list too. I love the fact that it's a dual bust. So weird and creative!

    ReplyDelete