Halfling Spearmen Part 1

A little while back now, I generated my second random project - Halfling Spearmen from Warploque Miniatures.


Now to add some paint!
I decided early on that I wanted a split half and half scheme, but couldn't really figure out what colours to go with, and how they'd work with each other. Should they contrast and clash, or or should they be complimentary?

Eventually I decided to try a scheme with a couple of fairly neutral, earthy tones and a more vibrant tone to contrast with them. 


The brown started off life as P3 Thornwood Green, the green half of the shirts is Scale Color Ardennes Green while the purple side is Scale Color Purple. 

I added some shading to each tone - P3 Umbral Umber to the Thornwood Green trousers and neck bib thing and also into the mix on the purple, to give it a more earthy shade. To tie the green and purple together, I added the purple to the green to use as a shade.



I then added in some highlights, adding Vallejo Deck Tan to the brown and purple, then a lighter green from the Scale Color green set that I forget the name of, but is visible on the right hand side of the below shot. 





With the highlights in place, I moved onto the spears. They all got a coat of Deck Tan.



I then used the same wood effect I used on Keysha's Base - equal parts Inktense Brown and Black inks, with just a little more than that in water and thinner (I believe this ratio was 2:2 Brown/Black then another 2 drops of water and 2 of airbrush thinner). This gives a loose ink wash that in one layer, already looks like the spears are made from a light wood that has been stained, as opposed to painting up a dark wood. To vary them a little I plan on adding another layer or two of ink. 


I also added the ink was to the neck bib things to help with depth. 


Still to do are the flesh tones, metals and bases, so I'd say they're roughly at the half way point at the moment, but more will have to wait for another day and another article. 




Post a Comment