Fast Evil Colour Schemes




A little break from the priest this week for something different..



For a while I’ve been thinking about a quick way to paint and evil/undead force.

This was somewhat inspired by several forces I’d seen on the internet which conveyed the evil nature of the army and looked good as an overall force, but which I felt shortcuts could be taken to get something done quickly. These armies tended to concentrate on relatively few colours, unfortunately I now can’t find any links to those armies. Boo. Anyway I would attempt to work wet-on-wet for speed with the aim of completing each figure in minutes.

I recently gave my brother an intro to the Warmachine tabletop game and he likes the look of the Cryx army. This would be ideal for a quick colour scheme in my view, so I started thinking about how I might implement the above idea.

First I needed a basic colour which I would then have a counterpoint colour to later. Since I want the army to have a dark/evil feel I’ll use a basic blend of black to grey to set the lighting, but another colour is required to add some colour (just a little). At this point I’m not sure what that colour will be, since it needs to pair well with my light source. Thinking about the light source, green is the common colour for Cryx and it’s been a long time since I’ve painted much green so it seems a good choice. The natural pair for a yellow-green is red-purple because it is the complimentary colour, as can be seen on the colour wheel below:

Yup, Purple and Green are a thing.

The basics of my colour scheme now established I use a really useful tool on the web to play with tones/the scheme, colorschemedesigner.com
This allows me to check the colours I’m planning will work well together and can suggest other colours which might work well, it allows me to adjust the saturation and darkness of my scheme to match the evil force I’m planning:



The colour scheme idea complete I’m excited to test it, fortunately I have a couple of IKRPG miniatures lying around which will be perfect.

Come back soon to see how I get on!

Post a Comment