On The Desk - Goblin Chieftain Part 2 - Metals, more leather and style!



Let's continue with the Goblin Chieftain from Infamy miniatures. First up the lance arm. I painted to the skin at the same time as the rest of the skin, I've kept it separate from the body because it makes a few areas a little easier to access. The wood I actually painted by using Inktense Wood from S75 straight over the zenithal highlight, a couple of thinned coats. The silver sections were painted with S75 Heavy Metal. The other metal sections....I painted red (Sanguine Base from P3, a really cool colour) Looking back I can't even tell you why I did this, just felt right! All these steps were applied to the metal armour on the body as well.


I then used various other thinned washes and glazes on the wood(some green in the shadows, brown to help accentuate the wood grain) and highlighted the raised sections with a light brown. I painted the formerly red sections with Dwarven Gold, again from S75 (their metallics have quickly become my go to!) Now quite unintentionally this using a thinned down gold over the red has given quite an interesting effect. Almost looks like an iridescent paint with the gold hitting the light, happy little accidents as Bob would say :)


Now when they first announced the competition I had an idea for some goblin impersonating a human knight and having a jousting competition with painted on heraldry and the like. I cut a small strip of masking tape and wound it round my lance  to help me paint the effect (I probably could have freehanded it but I wanted to try this out) Now, you might have noticed I goofed up. If I wanted to end up with a 2 tone effect on the lance then I needed to paint one of the colours before I put the tape on.....oh well! So I just painted on with the masking tape and carefully painted the second colour in the gaps afterwards.


I wanted it to look like the Goblin's painting was far from high quality. I used a mixture of an old trimmed down brush and a little sponge (cut from an old blister sponge) to apply the paint, giving it a somewhat slapped together appearance.


Continuing on with the metals let's take a look at the body armour. I used some black washes to dirty up the armour and give me more contrast. At the same time I painted another little checkered border around his armour. Can also see the base coat for the leather loincloth he's wearing. I wanted a really light leather so I started with a base coat of P3 Menoth White Base.


Then I went to TOWN on it. Similar to my approach for the leather on the saddle really, lots of washes including Vallejo Smoke, GW Agrax Earthshade, Seraphim Sepia. Photo is slightly dark!


Shield with a simple livery (they are goblins after all...) Same approach as the lance.


Back next week for some basing! 

Post a Comment