WIP Warrior Priest: Part 3 - Basing Tribulations

I've been working hard on this base this week but not all went according to plan..



I want the base to interact with the figure to a large extent on this piece, so i'm moving to get the major basing elements finished earlier than I normally would to finish the paint job off with the model in place.

To that end it was time for some water effects! This is something I've done several times, but this time I thought I'd try a slightly different technique, I used parcel tape wrapped back on itself to hope to get a really shiny finish on the water...

So with my little package made I merrily added the water, however, much of it escaped!



I even had to cut the base off the envelope I'd left it on to dry! Never mind, I added another layer and let it set before removing the mould..

 Excellent! Just the finish on the water I was looking for, however all was not well..

 Ouch! At this point I was wondering if it was even salvagable! But much work later I'd managed to remove much of the excess:


 A quick coat of black paint to let me assess the damage and some greenstuff for the biggest holes later..

Still a lot of sanding to go then! I'm not sure if I'd use this technique again, possibly, but I'd need to be more sure of the sealing around the mould before starting. I used brush on gloss varnish to try and seal it on this time, maybe more coats are needed in future.. Interesting though, it'd be boring to do the same thing every time!

Till next time!

Post a Comment